Why there is No Igbo in Buhari Government

Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, the former governor of Enugu state, says the reason there is no major presence of Igbos in Buhari’s government is because the president is not a politician.

The former national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said the president’s entire training has been in the military so he doesn’t see things the way politicians see them

Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, the former governor of Enugu state, has given reason why the Igbo nation seems to be excluded in the government of President Muhammadu Buhari, explaining that it is because the President is not a politician.

Speaking in an interview with Vanguard, the former national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said: “The President himself is not a politician, his entire training has been in the military so he doesn’t see things the way we politicians see them. If I lose an election in any part of my constituency my strategy is to make sure that next time around I would win in that constituency and that is by reaching out to the people and convincing them that they were wrong for not voting me and that I can take care of them more than anybody else.

“That doesn’t mean that I will ignore those that voted for me but I need to get those people who didn’t vote for me more in order to convince them to vote for me the next time, so I think that is the basic problem we have in this scenario.

“The President hasn’t been able to let go that he didn’t harvest votes from South East and South South and that being the case he has more or less marginalised them from his government. I believe that government needs to change its strategy completely and its approach to issues affecting South East and South South.

“The President has to understand that if you win an election, you become the President of everybody and not just those that voted you.”

Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo was born on July 28 1950 in Nsukka, Enugu State. He was elected governor of Enugu State in 1992 under the platform of the defunct National Republican Convention (NRC) during the third Republic.

Nwodo, as a founding member of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, was twice elected the National Secretary of the party and in 2010, he became the National Chairman of the party following the forced resignation of former National Chairman, Prince Vincent Ogbulafor.

He was later forced to resign as national chairman because his policies for the party e- registration of members and his fight against imposition of candidates did not go well with the governors.

Previous
Next Post »